National standard GB1976–2008, E401, FCC III.
Color and characteristics
Milk white to light yellow or light brown powder or granular
Ash ( on dry basis) / %
Introduction of sodium alginate:
Sodium alginate, a kind of natural polysaccharide, with pharmaceutical preparations accessories required stability, solubility, viscosity, and security. In 1881, the British chemist E.C.S tanford first alginate of brown algae extract for scientific research. He found that the alginic acid extract has several interesting features, it has a concentrated solution, forming gel and film forming ability. Based on this, he put forward several industrialized production application. Alginate until 50 years later, however, on a large scale industrial production. Commercial production began in 1927, is now the world produce about 30000 tons per year, 30% of them used in the food industry, the rest used for other industry, the pharmaceutical industry and dental.
Properties of sodium alginate:
1. Good hydrophily
2. Good fluidity
4. Health protection property
5. Gel forming capability
Specifications of sodium alginate:
1. Food: applied to beverage and health care products, removing heavy metals from bodies
2. Cosmetics: widely used as a main ingredient of the facial mask
3. Dental impression: main element in the dental inpression materials;
4. Medicin & health care product: lower the blood fat, blood pressure and cholesterol levels
5. Industrial welding materials: can be widely used as an additive in high-quality welding rod coatings
Sodium alginate food grade:
Replacing starch and carrageenan, sodium alginate can be used in beverage, dairy products, iced products.
2 Thickener and emulsion
As food additive, sodium alginate mainly used in sala flavoring, pudding jam, tomato ketchup and the canned products.
Sodium alginate can make noodle, vermicelli and rice noodle more cohesiveness.
4 Gelling property
With this character, sodium alginate can be make into kinds of gel product. It also can be used as a cover for fruit, meat and seaweed products away from air and keep them stored longer.